French Roses Background

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 4 - A Knitter for All Seasons


Although I am a transplanted Yankee, I consider myself a Southern Gal. . . except when it's time to change the calendar from September to October.  This is when I long for the cool nights that magically turn leaves from green to glorious shades of orange, yellow, crimson & maroon.  I dream of wrapping up in a cozy cardigan as I venture out to enjoy the sights and smells of autumn.

Instead, the A/C is running.  If everything is not green, the heat and lack of rain has turned it brown.  Temperatures are still between 80 and 90 degrees, often warmer.  Plus there's the humidity.  So instead of turtlenecks & tights, it's t-shirts and flip-flops.

When December rolls around, I sing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" and genuinely mean it.  I would actually be happy to be able to wear a bona fide sweater.  I rarely add a scarf - historically, the average temperature during the holidays is 68*F.  January is our coldest month here in Southeast Texas, typically dipping into the 50's.  Sometimes we're lucky and get an occasional freeze.  When it's raining it feels colder, and this is when I get to break out the "woolens".  For me this means layering a sweater or cardigan over a light turtleneck, wearing tights under my skirt and topping it off with a warmer shawl or mobius wrapped around my neck and shoulders.  

Yet I knit.  Year round.

While I do have a few sweaters, I have learned to love lace.  A lot.

Plus, there are always socks.


No comments:

Post a Comment