French Roses Background

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 2 - My Knitting Hero

This is one topic I have thought about the most.  Who could I name that would qualify as my "hero"?  Who has inspired me to take two sticks and some string and create the things I do?

I really couldn't say that any one designer or podcaster (I listen to QUITE a few!) is the One I Want to be When I Grow Up.

While both my mother and paternal grandmother crochet, and my sister will only knit a stockinette scarf (leaving me to block), I am the only person in my family who is a Knitter.  I do not belong to a knitting group or guild, and often feel like the Lone Ranger of Knitting.

The more I thought this over, the more I was convinced.  My Knitting Hero is: Ravelry.  This is more than just an online database of more patterns than any one person could ever knit in a lifetime.  This is about more than what kind of yarn goes best with which project.  It's about community.

It doesn't really matter if you are just learning to knit or you are a Lifelong Knitter or Crocheter.  You will find the support you need.  To get you through the loss of a pet, sibling, parent or spouse.  To encourage you during times of unemployment - even sending goodies your way to brighten your day!  

It's a place that doesn't discriminate against age, race or gender.  A place for budding designers to try their wings.  A place to find encouragement to start (and finish!) your first lace project.  A place to find 37 yards of an obscure, now discontinued merino blend so you can finish your mother-in-law's sweater before Christmas.  

This community of more than 2 million is what inspires me to be not only a better knitter, but also a better person.

So to the folks of Ravelry - Thank you for being my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment